Here’s a short list of reasons why the Keystone Pipeline is an irredeemably terrible idea:
- It puts an oil pipeline (those things that frequently spill goo everywhere) over U.S. water tables (the things we need to have to get water which are ruined by oil getting in them).
- It is not American oil. It is Canadian oil. We don’t get any oil. Our economy doesn’t get the benefit of that oil. We (meaning the wealthy brokers of this deal) just get money to pump super-hazardous oil through America’s breadbasket for export to other places.
- The oil comes from these terrible things called tar sands. Assurances were made that the oil from tar sands and the chemicals used to treat them wouldn’t leak into Canadian water. They did. It already happened. And the area around the tar sands looks like a moonscape.
- It would only create 35 permanent jobs.
- Humans need drinkable water to live.
So why do we hear so many of our leaders giving such full-throated support to this clearly poor policy choice?
- Many of them are invested personally.
- The people who would profit off this deal are huge campaign contributors.
Once again, Barbara Comstock supports this hideously bad policy. She is ignoring the serious risks to America’s water supply and the heinous fraud behind the alleged benefits of the pipeline.